What is Sclerotherapy
This is a procedure where a “sclerosant” is injected into the vein. The injection destroys the vein. It is typically used for spider veins and small-sized varicosities. This is an office procedure and can be repeated every few weeks if large areas have to be covered.
Post Procedure Instructions for Sclerotherapy
- You will leave the clinic with legs wrapped with compression wrappings. Leave these in place for 24 hours. After 24 hours you may remove them and bathe or shower. Wear compression hose daily after this for at least 1 week.
- You can expect to see some minor bruising or discoloration at the injections site for several days. This should resolve slowly and return to normal appearance within about 4-6 weeks. If you have any excessive redness, drainage, ulceration, or “knotting” in any of the areas injected, contact the office.
- You may experience some mild tenderness at the injection site. If necessary, use Aspercreme to help with any local inflammation at the site.
- You should remain active. Walk at least 20 minutes immediately following the procedure and every day thereafter.
- Avoid running, jogging, or high impact aerobics, long periods of standing or sitting for 1-2 weeks.
- You may contact the office at 601-939-4230 if you have any questions, or develop any problems or complications.